Haven - The G.A.M.E.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BOOKS!

+13
manateeb
Haborym
retarded chechen fuckpot
Wons
Ducky
Mother Superior
Hades
Bospy
Double D
EyesofMarch
Haze
Néuf
Quix
17 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

BOOKS! Empty BOOKS!

Post by Quix Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:28 am

The discussion thread for books of all types and flavors! Here you can talk about what you're currently reading, just finished, or look for recommendations.

Weekly discussion topic: What is your favorite or least favorite book that you have been forced to read?

Last edited by Quix on Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Quix
Quix

Back to top Go down

BOOKS! Empty Re: BOOKS!

Post by Quix Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:32 am

Currently reading:
Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss
Fellowship of the Ring by J. R. R. Tolkien

My favorite science fiction book has to be Phillip K. Dick's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? Definitely thought provoking and more accessible that Dick's other books. It's what the movie Blade Runner is loosely based on.

Fantasy is a toughie. I thoroughly enjoyed the Mistborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson, the first book especially, so I would choose that. Non-traditional fantasy with an epic magic system. It starts off as a heist novel and becomes something much bigger. I definitely recommend it if you like fast paced, simply written books, with logical protagonists.
Quix
Quix

Back to top Go down

Post by Néuf Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:26 pm

I read a Stephen King book called Blaze when I was in middle-school. It was great.
Néuf
Néuf

Back to top Go down

Post by Quix Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:10 pm

Stephen King is always a good choice. I really like The Stand and Stand By Me. I want to get around to reading The Dark Tower series too.
Quix
Quix

Back to top Go down

Post by Néuf Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:28 pm

Rage was good, too.
Néuf
Néuf

Back to top Go down

Post by Haze Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:46 pm

Seven Basic Plots

Hooooooooooooly shit.

I had always, always struggled with plots before reading this. Oddly, after being given a pattern to follow, plot creation actually feels less restricted. It is essentially the difference between being told without any knowledge to "go make a car", and being told specifically which parts need to go where. If you know the mechanics of it then you're free to use specific brands and types of parts which you know will work well.

I'm still only halfway through it but if the book was half as long it'd still easily be worth reading.
Haze
Haze

Back to top Go down

Post by EyesofMarch Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:17 am

The Great Gatsby..

Such a fantastic, yet sad, story..
EyesofMarch
EyesofMarch

Back to top Go down

Post by Double D Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:36 am

Just like everyone else and their mother, I'm reading the "A Song of Ice and Fire" series. I'm just starting in on "A Feast of Crows." Sadly, "A Dance of Dragons" will not be released in paperback until I am out of the country, and I fear how much it will cost to ship a book to Russia.

That said, I'm also starting Harry Turtledove's "Southern Victory" Series. They are an alternate history series, with the South "winning" the Civil War. The divergence occurs when Union forces do not find a copy of Special Order 191, which detailed a Confederate army invasion of the Union.
Double D
Double D

Back to top Go down

Post by Quix Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:52 am

EyesofMarch wrote:The Great Gatsby..

Such a fantastic, yet sad, story..

That book is the essence of brevity and beauty in prose. One of my favorites.

I might end up looking for that book Haze. Its length seems a bit daunting however.
Quix
Quix

Back to top Go down

Post by Haze Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:40 am

If everyone was scared off by length I wouldn't get any action.

Be a man Quix. Take it, inch by terrifying inch.
Haze
Haze

Back to top Go down

Post by Quix Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:48 am

BOOKS! UaW3JEL
Quix
Quix

Back to top Go down

Post by Double D Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:20 pm

Don't kid yourself, the only action you get is when I blow you after our weekly psych meetings.
Double D
Double D

Back to top Go down

Post by Haze Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:35 pm

...packs of vicious keep left signs-

Stop that! Stop that now! That's just silly.
Haze
Haze

Back to top Go down

Post by Double D Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:44 pm

Started off with a nice little idea about grannies attacking young men, but now it's got silly. This man's hair is too long for a vicar too. These signs are pretty badly made. Right, now for a complete change of mood.
Double D
Double D

Back to top Go down

Post by Quix Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:47 am

So, I'm almost finished with The Name of the Wind. I'm still waiting for the author to subvert the idea that the character is a Mary Sue. His hair and eyes are "unique". The character is the best at everything, women are there to fall at his feet and for him to miss their advances, and everything bad that happens is brought on by other character's jealousy or the MC's narcissism and arrogance. The book is well written, but I really want the MC to have another flaw besides the fact that he's full of himself due to his absurd ability.

Last edited by Quix on Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Quix
Quix

Back to top Go down

Post by Haze Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:56 am

what the hell happens in the plot if the mc is perfect

does he just go around fixing everyones problems and getting hugs and medals or what
Haze
Haze

Back to top Go down

Post by Quix Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:07 am

MC is an orphan -> Gets beat up on a regular basis -> Becomes a hardened badass because of it -> Drops oil and tries to burn his bully alive. -> Leaves town to the University.

MC does something amazing that breaks the rules. -> Mean professor punishes him -> MC is badass who can take it. Everyone starts rumors about him -> Rinse and repeat.

MC insults a bully -> Bully gets revenge by tricking MC into breaking the rules -> Mean professor punishes him -> MC is a badass and is respected by his peers. -> Rinse and repeat.

MC is best musician ever -> People fall in love with his music -> Some dude gets jealous and tries to screw him up -> MC is a badass and people weep more than they've ever wept at his beautiful song. -> Rinse and repeat.

All the while the book is so well written most of the time that you only notice how stupid it is once you step back from it. And by well written, I mean the prose.
Quix
Quix

Back to top Go down

Post by Haze Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:24 am

so sort of like the ugly duckling who actually was never ugly and all it took was an all american children's beauty contest for everyone to realise just how fucking amazing that duckling looked and its also really smart and does its own thing and really doesnt actually have any problems at all

like that?
Haze
Haze

Back to top Go down

Post by Bospy Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:21 am

just finished world war z rip the guy at the ending who gets mauled by a zombie bear
Bospy
Bospy

Taurus Posts : 181

Back to top Go down

Post by Hades Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:28 am

Bospy wrote:just finished world war z rip the guy at the ending who gets mauled by a zombie bear

no he doesn't

it's a zombie woodpecker
Hades
Hades
ACCESS: CERBERUS

http://generalroleplay.forumotion.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by Mother Superior Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:17 am

Trying to read Trainspotting, I just can't get past the Scottish accent writing.
Mother Superior
Mother Superior

Back to top Go down

Post by Ducky Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:38 am

That's obnoxious. You probably shouldn't read that.

I was attracted to this thread because someone called me ugly. Fuck you. Okay, bye.
Ducky
Ducky

Back to top Go down

Post by Quix Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:42 pm

Mother Superior wrote:Trying to read Trainspotting, I just can't get past the Scottish accent writing.

I really wish dialect writing was only used when there are characters that speak differently than the protagonist. If they're in a certain geographic location just say they speak with a Scottish accent and my brain will do the rest.

Finished Name of the Wind today. Ending was good. Overall, I recommend it unless you're extra sensitive to Mary Sues. The writing is better than most fantasy nowadays.

Just picked up the first two books in the Dark Tower series and I'm starting them now. Accidentally left LoTR at home, so I'll get back to Fellowship later.

Oh and I'm pretty sure Ugly Duckys don't read and write, Russ.
Quix
Quix

Back to top Go down

Post by Ducky Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:05 pm

I know what is reading and writing and I am not ugly, I just don't read books.
Ducky
Ducky

Back to top Go down

Post by Quix Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:56 am

Ducky wrote:I know what is reading and writing and I am not , I just don't read books.

"He doesn't read."
"No, he doesn't read."
"Oh, I see your point."

Well, since this is a thread about books, why don't you read books, Russ?
Quix
Quix

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum