Haven - The G.A.M.E.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Neverwinter

5 posters

Go down

Neverwinter Empty Neverwinter

Post by Quix Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:47 pm

I'm playing it this upcoming weekend and it seems like it could be pretty good.

Pros:
-It's a hack and slash game, but the combat seems more reaction-based and less hot-bar spammy than most.
-It comes with the deepest content creation tool (The Foundry) I've seen in an MMO, very similar to the NVN toolset, but it lacks the persistent zones that had.
-The Foundry is integrated into the game, so player created and dev created quests show up in the same place and you can even pick up player created quests in an immersive way (barkeeps, anyone?).
-Based off a pretty rich universe which is familiar to most people. The main story should be decent since they have been working R.A. Salvatore and others at WOTC. Also based off 4E D&D which a lot of people don't like.

Cons:
-Five classes at launch. No ranged archers until after.
-Not very much info out considering how close launch is. Might spell trouble.
-Made by Cryptic Studios makers of City of Heroes (yay!), Champions Online (meh), and Star Trek Online (blech)
-Dumb overpriced Founder's packs. $200 is just not good price placement.
-Free to play, which isn't bad, and they say they won't be pay to win, but we'll see when the game comes out.

Rest of Pros/Cons here: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?5211-Neverwinter-Online-New-Users-FAQ

Videos!
CGI trailers

Class trailers

**Cleric trailer not out yet**

>>THE VIDEO BELOW IS WHAT HYPES ME FOR THIS GAME... THE FOUNDRY<<

And there's gonna be loads of press streams tomorrow in anticipation of the closed beta this weekend.

Also if this is the wrong forum for these, please move it.

Quix
Quix

Back to top Go down

Neverwinter Empty Re: Neverwinter

Post by Omni Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:58 pm

You say 'blech' to Star Trek Online, but that game's improved a LOT since release. Seriously, the game it is now kicks the shit out of the game it was then.
Omni
Omni

Back to top Go down

Post by K33f3 Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:03 pm

I'm still sitting here playing LOTRO
K33f3
K33f3

Gemini Posts : 39

Back to top Go down

Post by Quix Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:25 pm

Omni wrote:You say 'blech' to Star Trek Online, but that game's improved a LOT since release. Seriously, the game it is now kicks the shit out of the game it was then.

I'll take your word for it, but first impressions are pretty important for the longevity of an MMO. I hope Neverwinter pulls it off better.

@Keefe: I'm considering getting back into LOTRO now that RoR has come out. How is mounted combat?
Quix
Quix

Back to top Go down

Post by Beatrix Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:11 pm

Neverwinter Online? That actually sounds really interesting. Cryptic mmos never tend to end well but I hope they pull this through. I haven't heard about it until now to be honest. When is it in open beta??
Beatrix
Beatrix

Back to top Go down

Post by Quix Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:22 am

Beatrix wrote:Neverwinter Online? That actually sounds really interesting. Cryptic mmos never tend to end well but I hope they pull this through. I haven't heard about it until now to be honest. When is it in open beta??

Open beta is probably in April or May since the last closed beta weekend is in March.
Quix
Quix

Back to top Go down

Post by Quix Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:15 pm

No NDA so I'll post about my experience in the closed beta as a level 21 Cleric.

The game is a lot of fun to play. Combat feels really good after you get used to the restricted movement and the animation and effects really pack a punch. The game runs smooth as butter, better than any beta I've been in and the graphics are polished. Download size is low (4 or 5) for the beta, but it's hard to say what it will be come launch.

The cleric is easy to solo and shines in groups. Just adding one more party member makes the experience that much better. Single target healing is difficult to pull, so most of your heals are based on doing damage which create AOE heals. Unlike GW2 dodging actually makes a significant difference in gameplay. Red splats appear on the ground when an enemy attacks and you can dodge them by shift-moving in a direction away from them.

This story is pretty mediocre. If you want a meaningful tale in the Forgotten Realms I would wait for the Foundry missions. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to test the Foundry because it has been disabled for this weekend. I'm also worried that this game is low on content because I have leveled to 21 in less than six hours and some quests gave me a level and a half worth of experience. Hopefully they can perfect the leveling curve.

So far, I recommend that people should get this game when it comes out, it's F2P, and even if it's short it's still worth playing.
Quix
Quix

Back to top Go down

Post by K33f3 Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:11 pm

Just hope to God no one decides to strafe during mounted combat. Nightmares for weeks.
K33f3
K33f3

Gemini Posts : 39

Back to top Go down

Post by Ducky Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:17 pm

What happens there?
Ducky
Ducky

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content